Friday 7 September 2012

My First Job

My First Job


My first job was a straight job for children's magazine called 'Junior Magazine'. I really didn't have a clue what to expect - all we knew was that the magazine was a high fashion one ...and that we had never heard of it! We were given the address of the job and the call time by the agency; the Presidential Suite of the Hilton in London. I remember being really excited and a little bit nervous as well. It was great fun and I modeled the most expensive clothes I have ever modeled in my life - including a white, sequined Roberto Cavelli jacket!!. I was convinced I would end up spilling something on them. It was the first time I had taken direction from a photographer and I remember being really surprised at all the lights and equipment they were using. They had curled my hair into a massive pouffe that stuck out all round my head like a seventies rockstar - I didn't wear my hair curly that much then and I was amazed at how different I looked. After it had finished we took the tube back to where we were parked and I kept thinking how strange I must look with my hair all done up.

Obviously, I didn't expect all jobs to be like that. I didn't even know whether I would get any more jobs. As it turns out, I have been really lucky with how many jobs I've had, but back then I didn't have a clue how many I'd get. It's all down to luck at the end of the day - whether clients are looking for someone that looks like you or not. If they're not, then there is really nothing you can do about it, you just have to keep trying! 

TOP TIPS FOR A FIRST JOB


  • When you have your first job you should expect to be waiting around possibly even longer than at a casting so make sure you bring plenty of stuff to do. 
  • It is really important that you try to be patient and polite to any members of the crew even if they seem to be taking ages on purpose. If you are impolite or start getting bored or sulky they might not keep you on for as much time as they were going to; they might not even consider using you again. You can be the next Kate Moss, but if you are a diva at a shoot you won't make a good impression no matter how pretty you are.
  • Make sure you don't let on that you hate the clothes. Not all clothes you will model will be to your taste. I am really small for my age so sometimes have to wear clothes mainly designed for ten year olds; sometimes I think I would NEVER wear this but I try not to let it show.
  •  Don't worry if you are used less than other models that are there. If there are other models at the job, you might find they are being used more than you are. Don't worry at all. It might be that they have modeled for the company before, fit more of the clothes, or just had more shots planned than you did. It doesn't mean that you are any worse than they are.
There can be a lot of equipment on set!!
  • Make sure you have time spare for the job to overrun, or if not, ensure you let someone know as soon as you arrive. If the company know in advance you are in a rush, they will shoot you first so you can get off quickly. In general though, it is best if you leave the whole day free in case the hours you need to be there change.   
  • Have fun and enjoy it! It you want more info take a look at my castings post. :)

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE THIS post:) soooo cute. I like your blog and Im now following.I really hope all your model dreams come true:)

    Check out my blog...Lots of cute Swedish decor inspiration:)

    Have a fab day dear

    LOVE Maria at inredningsvis - inredning it's, Swedish for decor :)

    ReplyDelete

Please no bad language. Any comments that use bad language or any inappropriate terms will be removed immediately.