Monday 3 September 2012

First Casting



First Casting



Your first casting is always very exciting! It's a really important day - I still remember mine after 5 years and I'm sure I will remember it for a long time yet. My first casting was for a Walk To School Campaign and was in a studio in London. I remember thinking going to London was the best thing EVER and riding on the tube was AMAZING! I remember going into the studio and my mum stood at the back of the room and I walked to a spot marked with tape and had my photo taken. I had to hold up a card with my agency, age and height on it and do what the photographer asked me to do. There wasn't anybody else in the room and I hadn't had to wait very long at all. I really enjoyed myself and we went for a meal afterwards. Unfortunately, I didn't get the job from that casting, but next year I got it without a casting as a straight job. 

For your first casting, whatever it may be for, there are a list of things you must make sure you have done before the day:
  • Most importantly, make sure you know when you need to be at the casting and where the casting is. It might be a good idea to print off a Google map that you can use in case you have to park far away and walk, or, if you haven't got a SatNav, for driving there. If you are further away from the casting, taking the train avoids the traffic and can be easier.
  • Also, it is a good idea to decide what you will wear the night before the casting - especially if you are setting off early in the morning. You don't want to wear anything too sparkly or with too many patterns as you want the client to see you and not your clothes. Don't be afraid to wear some bright colours though; it can make you stand out from the crowd and get noticed.
  • Ensure your hair is freshly washed and you have clean nails (no polish or just a clear coat). Do this the night before as you don't want to be rushed in the morning.
  • It is really important that you look like you do on your agency pictures when you go to a casting. If a client expects you to be a short 13 year old with straight, red hair, you must make sure you look like that. There will be no one to do your hair and makeup at a casting so make sure your hair is done, and if you are over about eleven or twelve you can maybe wear a little bit of blusher or lip gloss. Definitely do not put on any eye makeup, lipstick, or fake tan. When I go to casting I put on a little bit of powder, blusher and lipgloss. I sometimes wear a VERY light concealer if I have a spot that is really obvious. I have only just started doing this though and you definitely don't need to wear any makeup. 
  • When you pack a bag for the casting it is important you have: your height/measurements or a tape measure, a hairbrush and hairspray to spruce up your hair just before you go in, the number for who to call if you are going to be late or have any other questions, a snack and a book or phone for if you are waiting around, a waterproof so you don't get drenched just before you go in, (this has happened to me before!) 
  • It is best if you arrive 5-10 minutes before you were told, as you will then not have to stay much longer than the call time (hopefully!) The longest I have ever had to wait at a casting was probably only about 30-45 minutes.
Don't be too disappointed if you don't get the job. The client will probably be seeing models all day and you are probably unlikely to get it. Still, castings are really fun and you never know, you might get a job out of it!


 My sister and I outside CBBC!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no bad language. Any comments that use bad language or any inappropriate terms will be removed immediately.