Friday 31 August 2012

Why Modelling Isn't Always As Glamorous As It Seems

Why Modelling isn't sometimes as glamorous as it seems.


Modelling is hard hard work. There aren't very often posh dressing rooms with recliner massage chairs to lie in whilst drinking cloudy lemonade and having your nails painted. This post is about my experiences of very UNglamorous jobs I've done. Sometimes, you have just got to grit your teeth and get on with.


I did a job for a big sports company quite recently and no one had warned us there wasn't going to be a makeup artist there. All modelling jobs I've done there has been someone there to do your hair especially if it's for a well known company. Unfortunately, I was having a particularly bad hair day that day and hadn't really made much of an effort to make my self look nice as the job started quite early in the morning. Not that I put a lot of makeup on usually for jobs but it is best to turn up with your hair done nicely so you make a good impression. When I got there it was immediately quite obvious that I would have to be shot as I was - there was no hair stuff or makeup there at all! It was ok as the crew wanted us to look natural anyway but I still spent ages in the toilets trying to make my hair go straight!! I have to say those pictures were definitely not my favourites! I will pack straighteners and hairspray in my bag from now on!


This is my sister on a shoot for New Look in the hair and makeup room.



















One time, I was on a shoot for M&S (before I grew out of the sample size)  and another girl and I were shooting in the middle of a very busy park. This was about a year ago and it was a really hot day. We were shooting winter clothes as everything is always shot earlier than when it is put on the website. We were really far away from the caravan that was the makeshift make up and changing room so there was nowhere for us to get changed. The park toilets were on the opposite side of the park and were also a ten minute walk away. The crew were behind schedule so we needed to get into our next outfit really quickly. Because of this we had to change behind two polystyrene screens that the cameraman was holding up for us. Even though I knew nobody cared, I was still sure everyone was looking at me!!




I find that pretty much all the studios I go to are in really grotty places or look a bit strange from the outside. Once we got an email from my agency and she advised us to take a taxi as the place we were going to wasn't very safe in the evening. Luckily, the taxi driver dropped us off right outside the place the casting was at. I wasn't sure I wanted to be out on those streets! 



A very cool studio I did a job in!





















2 comments:

  1. i totally agree with you!

    http://glamourgirl-bg.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks its lovely to get nice feedback!are you a model? If so good luck with any jobs you get x

    ReplyDelete

Please no bad language. Any comments that use bad language or any inappropriate terms will be removed immediately.